Friday, October 21, 2011

Weekly Update


Week three done.  It's seemed like a mix between only three days and in many ways like three years.  I've had a bit of a companion transfer, so Elder Jones and I are no longer companions.  I'm now companions with Elders Vance and Nielson in my same district.  They're pretty cool and we're getting along well, so we'll see where things go from here.
 
To all of you who sent me letters last week, thank you, but I didn't get any of them until Friday or I'd've done a few more shout outs.  The biggest thing that happened this week is probably that we had one of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints come and do the Tuesday devotional.  It was Richard G. Scott.  His talk started out with two separate thoughts.  The first being directed at the elders to watch and learn from the Sisters and to follow their example.  I think it ought to be pretty obvious as to why we would receive council like that (women are generally better at almost everything I can think of).  The second thought... is escaping my mind at the moment and I don't have my note in front of me.  He continued to the main body of his talk by addressing topics such as the Holy Ghost, Service, Love, etc.  There were two other microphones standing in other places as well so that people could go up and comment.  Elder Scott asked for people who would be willing to go and either read things or answer questions to stand in line... and I went up.  I wasn't going to at first, but I felt the prompting several times until I couldn't leave off any longer, so I went up.  The question I was asked involved Doctrine and Covenants 50:26 - "He that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding he is the least and the servant of all."  When Elder Scott turned to me, I had two thoughts in mind about that scripture.  The Savior washing the feet of the Apostles in John 13, and the story of Ammon among the people of Lamoni.  I shared my thoughts, relating them to the fact that these two were great men (the Savior being the greatest of all) who loved and served the people they were with.  Jesus Christ washed His disciples' feet (a nasty prospect for a people who went everywhere on foot in sandals), and Ammon defended those his people hated against their enemies so much so that the king was speechless.
 
These accounts really put into a better focus what I was sent out here to do.  Yes, I'm here to preach the gospel, but the way to do that is through love, service, and example, rather than argument, debate, and compulsion.
 
Hey, I need to get going, I'm running out of time.  I'll send another next week!  As Elder Jones would say, Stand Steady.
 
Elder Matthew H. Dewsnup
 
Shout Outs:
 
Mom and Dad:  Thanks for the messages of love and encouragement.  Mom you made me cry with your first letter (the part about when I was five), and Dad, your encouragement continues to be a God send.  And I don't mind that you send me things from airplanes.  I'm glad that you had fun and didn't get replace my mission with a guitar ;)  Also, something that I really loved.  The MTC cafeteria always has deserts at lunch and dinner.  Last Friday's desert... was carrot cake!  I got to celebrate my mother's birthday with a nice piece of carrot cake (though it doesn't compare with Dad's).  Glad you had fun with Sam and his wife!
 
Meg and Marvin:  I hope you get that beast soon!  I'm looking forward to hearing all about the size of the animal you bag.  The last quote you sent was from the Swan Princess (duh), I got it as soon as I opened the seal on the letter.  Rothbart's best line (except for "let's see if you can defeat, me...")
 
Michal:  By your British boy, I was indeed referring to the one who moved to England.  It's great to hear he's on a mission!  I send a blog update every week.  Elder Calder's doing well, though we're no longer roommates.  He did think it was really weird to see you on my wall and go "wait, I know her, why's she on Dewsnup's wall?"  Good luck with the time travel thoughts.  As for 3 Nephi 17:7, it's more a scripture that I've come to really appreciate as a lifter when I think of Christ healing those who are afflicted in any manner.
 
Sarah and Brandon:  I hope you both and Annie are doing well.  Mom mentioned that she got some time with her drooling wonder baby on her birthday.  I wish I could just have five minutes.  Hope to hear from you soon!  (P.S. my temple time is Thursday, and we usually do a session at 7:00 or 7:20, just in case you ever have the opportunity to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment