Sunday, September 2, 2012

Extra Extra!! Read All About It!!! 8/6/12

Dear Family,

"Baby Born wit' tree heads!!!"... ... ...  Ok, so not really.  Quick, what's that movie??

Well, I have little time, about 15 minutes to write this letter, but boy do I have some news.  I have been assigned to be a trainer.  This time, it's a for real greenie, and probably a gringo North American.  Things are going to be getting relatively rough here for me.  Very few of our investigators have been progressing and for the moment the work is slow.  I have received many heavy ideas and responsibilities brought to my attention this last week.

Our mission includes about 8 million people of the world's population.  Of those 8 million, there are between 50,000 and 200,000 in my area alone.  I and my green new companion tomorrow are the only two people in the entire world who can preach salvation to those fifty to two hundred thousand souls.  In the pre-existence, he and I were assigned and prepared to be the ones who would bring the wonderful news and plan of salvation to those thousands upon thousands of souls, who were promised by a loving Heavenly Father that one day they would have the opportunity to hear His marvelous plan for them.  In a possible 200,000 people, only we two men, accompanied by the Spirit of God (...we three [men] of orient...), are the only ones who have the authority and power to preach and baptize them.  This is heavy... great Scott!  (movie anyone?)

I'm sorry about the random references.  I am really nervous.  I understand that I have the responsibility to help my new companion to become the missionary the Lord wants him to be and I know I haven't even become the missionary God wants me to be yet.  This is a heavy burden for me to carry.  I wonder a lot now about who he will be, what he'll be like, will we get along (of course we will, but still...), etc.

I know it'll be hard, but I know I can do it with the Lord's help.  The biggest thing I need to remember is to treat him as my equal from the first moment.  In working together to make all decisions we will be able to develop the unity that we need to really help our area grow and flourish.  This is going to be rough, but as Nephi states, "I will go and do the thing which the Lord has commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men save he shall prepare the way for them to accomplish the thing which he has commanded them...I know in whom I have put my trust" (1 Nephi 3:7; 2 Nephi 4:19).

I love you all and as I know you pray for me, I pray for you.

¡Que Dios os cuide!
Elder Matthew Dewsnup

No comments:

Post a Comment