Monday, March 19, 2012

Week??? 2/20/12

{Sorry guys! I'm a month behind. of the next few days you'll finally get caught up}


Aloha!!
 
Not sure what week it is, but today has begun my third transfer in the mission.  I haven't moved, so for the next six weeks I'll still be here in Lopez Camelo, with Elder Tidei continuing to be my companion.  And we have a lot of work to do.
 
We had another baptism yesterday.  Her name is Mirta, and she has had a lot of religious experience.  She recognizes the Spirit really differently from most other people, but she knows God loves her and has a plan for her.  The first time we taught her, she knew the Book of Mormon was true.  When she heard about President Monson, she said she wanted to meet him.  She paid her tithing, fully understanding the concept (though maybe not what it's used for) before we taught it and before she was baptised.  We quickly followed that by teaching about tithing and what it is used for in the church.  She is really excited to be a new member and wants to learn more, even though from her standpoint our meetings are a little strange.
 
WIth her, that means we have 5 people that we baptised during the last transfer, so we have a lot of work to do to finish teaching the lessons of retention.  We are also teaching a few people who are references of them, along with the family members of other recent converts from the last year.  So we do indeed have a work for us to do.
 
I am reminded of Doctrine and Covenants Section 4, when we are told the "field is white, already to harvest."  Indeed it is, all we have to do is thrust in our sickle with our might to gather the wheat.  In another section of the Doctrine and Covenants, it says somewhere three times in as many verses that we need to "open [our] mouths." I think it's section 33.  And we are then promised that they will be filled.  I'm learning that lesson more and more as I begin to open my mouth more in the lessons.  I find that it has become easier and easier to speak to the people.
 
Argentina is wonderful!  Many people are ready, and as I said before, people are beginning to run to our church.  Once they hear of it and of the beliefs, people are for the most part willing to listen.  But the only way people will hear is if we "open [our] mouths" and "fear not."  When we invite and share, people will listen, and in many cases will be willing to learn more.  I know that to be true.  I've seen it happen here in Argentina, and I don't believe that to be any different no matter where we are in the world.  The people of the world are ready to hear, so for those who have ears to hear, let them hear.  For those of us who have the knowlegdge and mouths, let us open them.
 
Believe.
 
I love you all!!  My time has just about run out before we have to head home.  So I'll talk to you again next week.  You are in my thoughts and always in my prayers.  Even if we have a big head and little arms, we need to keep moving forward ;)
 
With love,
 
Elder Matthew Dewsnup

No comments:

Post a Comment