Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another Week 7/2/12


Dear Family,
 
Well, once again we come to the close and start of another week.  This has been a very trying week, physically and in the area of investigators.  I got really bad food poisoning last Wednesday, enough that it suspended the work for the rest of the day.  I spent the rest of that day between the bedroom and the bathroom, literally.  I still haven't fully recovered, but at least the worst of it finished itself off that night.  Then other stressful events passed that have made me feel pretty exhausted.  But things are starting to return back to normal.
 
Alejo was confirmed yesterday, and we've already started talking with the family about temples and the blessings to be found therein.  Roni also received the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday and will be participating in the passing of the sacrament next Sunday.  They're all getting excited to go and get to know the temple at the open house.  Claudia and Beto are still working out their document problems, and many things keep getting in the way.  Nevertheless, they keep pressing forward and finding ways to get things done.
 
We're teaching another man named Eusebio, too.  His son is the Stake Executive Secretary in a neighboring stake and President Gulbrandsen talked with him at their Stake Conference.  He passed us the referral and we met with him.  He's a wonderful man, with a good knowledge of gospel themes and with a desire to learn.  He's still not sure that he can recognize his answer about the Church and the Book of Mormon, but he keeps reading and praying.
 
Claudio and Belén are also right around there.  The problem is still with his work.  As a remis driver, he works 12 hour shifts with one day off a week.  Most of our appointments with them have been later on in the evening, but Claudio is already sharing some of the things that he's learning from us with his co-workers.  We're still working on impressing upon them the importance of reading at least a little bit from the Book of Mormon every day, even if it's just a verse.  But they understand well all the things that we teach.
In the Book of Mormon challenge, I finished it last Thursday, two days early.  So, I have now finished reading The Book of Mormon for the fourth time.  While going through, taking my counts, I counted more than 4,000 times that a name of Jesus Christ or God is mentioned.  But I didn't count any of the pronouns I, him, his, me, etc.  But it is something amazing to see.  The progress and destruction of two great civilizations. 
 
I love the book of Moroni.  After having witnessed the destruction of his people and having wandered in the wilderness for 20 years, he decides to add one of his father's talks, two letters, and his own personal words about the topics of faith, hope, charity, love, and gifts of the Spirit.  After having seen so much war, blood, and destruction, he still believes and trusts in his God.  I have only recently begun to understand the why behind many things and most of it has only become clear as I have tried to look at the broader picture.  The moments of pain and sorrow we have in this life are less than the blink of an eye when compared to the vastness of the eternity that we existed before coming into this life, and the endless eternity in which we will exist after.  In view of that, it really becomes so much more important to focus on the "things that matter most."  Those things include everything to do with the church, family, and intelligence; the church incuding everything of God, the family with all of humanity, and intelligence with learning and progression.
 
I'm running out of time for today, but my dear family, please know that I think of you often and you are always in my prayers.  I look forward to your letters and hearing experiences.  I love you all!!
 
With love,
Elder Dewsnup
 

No comments:

Post a Comment