Thursday, May 30, 2013

Weekly Update 5/27/13

How are things down south? How's your new companion? We're you able to fill up any more seats on Sunday? Is it getting cold? How are the new priesthood holders doing?

My dearest family,

I've already been on the computer for over an hour, reading letters, writing President, updating mission files, and now writing you, and I still have a lot to do. So this letter will sadly be a little shorter than normal.

This last week has actually been much better. My new companion is Elder McNab, from the Seattle, Washington area. He's the second of five, loves rock music, and hates the cold and ice here while at the same time enjoying immensly "skating" on the streets in his shoes.

We also are hosting the newly assigned Assistant to the president, Elder Martinez, who is the travelling assistant for the south. He's visiting all the areas here so that he can give a report about each one to the new mission president when he arrives. He was also in the same house with me when I first arrived to Argentina in Pilar, so it has been neat to catch up with him a bit.

I have not been officially moved to the new mission yet, but I'm almost sure that it's going to happen. I also have no idea what will be happening with all of the changes. I suspect that this new transfer could very easily be only until the 15 of June, which is when President Gulbrandsen said that there would be no more changes made in the organization of the southern areas bafore the end of the transfer. I have no clue, but it is a suspicion of mine. (I killed the spelling on that word I'm sure of it.)

Things down here in the south are going well. We had a great Sunday yesterday. After a whole week of trying to find a place to meet, the community let us use one of the cultural buildings. We improvised the pulpit out of a trashcan, a bucket, and an empty produce box, covered with a thick blue curtain. It was the missionary show, since none of the leaders from Rio Grande could show up, so it was kind of interesting in that sense. I presided and directed the meeting. Elder Martinez and I blessed the sacrament while Elder McNab passed. Elder Martinez said the opening prayer and lead the music and gave the opening remarks in testimony. Elder McNab spoke on the Plan of Salvation and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Then I spoke on Agency and how to recognize the Holy Ghost, expounding Galations 5:22-23. It had one of the five investigators present tearing up a little towards the end. It was the first time in 5 weeks that we had investigators in church and there were FIVE! with a total attendance of 15. Every single one of them from Tolhuin, because no one from Rio Grande could come! SUCCESS!! We're planning on working a lot more with them this week and hope to see all of them baptized within the next three to four weeks. This of course very much depends on their agency and dedication to fulfil the commitments we will be extending to them.

Sadly, only one of the recent converts from the past year was in attentance yesterday. Not one of the people who has joined the church since I came to Tolhuin was present, and we will be verifying why this week. The new priesthood holders didn't show up either, which was wierd to me because we were with one of them an hour before church started. In fact, he was helping us go look for the investigators to remind them about church and to wake them up if they were sleeping. (You wouldn't believe how late people sleep in here!! Some of them until 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon!! Keeping in mind that the sun goes down at 6:00...)

It's getting super cold down here. I've even been thinking about buying a new pair of warmer gloves and a replacement hat for the one I just lost. I feel like an idiot for losing a hat I had just bought, but I can't find it anywhere and have no clue where I could have left it. While most of the snow we had two weeks ago has melted, all the water has since frozen, making the roads relatively slick. We've all fallen quite a few times. Luckily, nothing more serious than a few bruises, but we had a close call with Elder Martinez today. As he slipped, he almost hit his head on the curb. If he hadn't put out his hands and weren't wearing his backpack, he'd have had a super bad accident. Lucky for him (or due to guardian angels) he just left with a bruise on his leg and a sore ligament behind his knee. I'm keeping care of my self and avoid patches where I know I will fall, though there are places where I'm surprised and fall just the same.

Anyhow. That's about where we're at down here at the moment. I love you all and hope to hear from you all soon!

Love,
Elder Dewsnup

--
Elder Matthew H. Dewsnup
MisiĆ³n Buenos Aires Norte
Gral. Lavalle 1828
1646 San Fernando
Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment